Skip to main content

Time with Josh

Since Josh (Chandler, my friend who was severly injured in a car accident on June 2nd - chandlerupdate.blogspot.com) was moved to Charlotte for rehabilitation, I had not had the opportunity to see him, primarily since Charlotte is 3.5 hours from Rocky Mount. On the way back to school (figure it out), I passed right through Charlotte. Since I had no reason to be at school early, I had plenty of time to stop by the rehab. hospital and spend some time with Josh.

As I drove through downtown Charlotte, I began to think about all that Josh had gone through. Sometimes, I am still tempted to ask questions regarding why Josh had gone through all of this. I'm sure part is sin and part is my finite being. However, I cannot view this "accident" through the lens of chance or "bad luck." God is SOVEREIGN. He performs all things after the counsel of His own will. (This would be God's sovereign will -- It cannot be thwarted, and not you and I can do nothing to change it.)

My faith has grown and matured over the last 3 months, as I have read Scripture, meditating on the greatness and independence of God. I don't think my faith has given me a greater boldness of attitude, like a greater positive spin on life. Rather, it seems like God is growing my faith into more of a quiet confidence, recognizing that God is always in control, and that I can fully trust in Him. He is MY God! I am His child!!!

It has been difficult to see Josh suffer. It has been nice to see him improve though. Back to my visit.... I was able to talk with him, face to face, for the first time since May, when we through a mutual friend a bachelor party. (He still remembers the idiotic rated-PG movie we watched that night!!!) Through all Josh has been through, he has not lost his "one-line" humor. I am so thankful that I have a friendship with Josh. It has caused me to grow closer to God.

"Great is the LORD...His greatness is unsearchable."

Popular posts from this blog

No Zion, No Problem? Not So Fast.

Everyone in the media has wanted their piece of the pie with Zion this year. Each highlight reel dunk and spectacular block has only increased the media fervor and number of followers. As Duke looks to face Syracuse, and presumably Virginia Tech as well, without Zion, let's consider what Duke looks like without Zion, and what it must do against Syracuse to leave the Carrier Dome with a W. DUKE WITHOUT ZION Duke without Zion is not a cart without a horse. But it might be a sports car without its turbo. Or maybe a chef without her secret sauce. Here are the main points to consider: MAIN POINTS - A Five Spot 1. Without Zion, Duke can’t play “position-less basketball” since all bench players have limitations. Not only is Zion our best two-way player (offense and defense), but he also allows the greatest roster flexibility in terms of building around him. He wreaks havoc wherever he is on the floor. We don't have another player like that, certainly not from the bench

Processing US Women's World Cup Final loss

Without a doubt, this year's Women's World Cup was the most entertaining (on this side of the pond, as they say) since the 1999 edition of the global tournament. The USA's performance and "never say die" attitude endeared this team to many American fans rather quickly, which was no more apparent than when the team stormed back to tie Brasil in 120+ minute, before going to win in penalties. Unfortunately, the dream ended in penalty kicks to a resilient Japanese side who was more fit for the task. Here's my attempt to process and set expectations on yesterday's US loss: 1. The best team doesn't always win in soccer. Sometimes, even the most dominant team in a particular game doesn't win that game. (HT: Grant Wahl , Sports Illustrated) 2. Here are some notes on penalties ending this game: (a) Tough on USA, since Japan had data on US shooters, since they had just seen them against Brasil. There are players that take their penalties the same direction

BCS Postseason Analysis

If the controversy surrounding the BCS System and college football bowl format, it certainly is the most complex and misunderstood controversy. The morning after the BCS championship game, here are three talking points: 1 - We're closer than ever to seeing a change in the traditional bowl format. The 2011 bowl season again proved how difficult it is to sell out every bowl game. This usually results in the participating schools having to eat the cost of those tickets. That trend can't continue. Playing in a meaningless bowl game actually costs some schools more money than they make by participating in the game. You can read about one instance of this happening here , involving the 2011 Virginia Tech football team, which made it to the Orange Bowl. The school had to eat 9,500 tickets it couldn't sell. They lost a total of $421,000, and it could've been a lot worse. 2 - The BCS isn't the enemy of the playoff system. In fact, they could actually be really good friends